Thank you for chairing a session at the 2021 Australian Earth Sciences Convention.
Whilst we don’t anticipate any changes please check the program again here prior to your session.
You will also find the program details in the AESC Online Portal.
Below are some tips to assist you with the chairing process. We will schedule a rehearsal with you but please review the instructions thoroughly and jump into the portal prior to the session to make sure you are comfortable with accessing and using the Portal.
Prior to the convention
- All abstracts are available on the convention website, please ensure you read the abstracts of the presentations in your session prior to the convention. Bios are also available here but we will email you a copy.
- We will email you an outline of the schedule for your session.
- All pre-recorded oral presentations will available in the AESC Online Portal for viewing from the 1 February. Please ensure you watch and familiarise yourself with the presentations in your session to assist when coordinating the live Q&A at the end of the session.
- Have questions prepared for your presenters as a back-up for the live Q&A.
- Please read through the portal instructions prior to the convention to familiarise yourself with accessing your session. There will also be a scheduled rehearsal time with the conference organisers prior to the convention to run through how the session will run. To familiarise and make yourself comfortable with chairing the session we strongly recommend you attend a rehearsal. We will send you portal access login details prior to the rehearsal.
Before the Session
- Please login to the Portal 30 minutes prior to the start of the session. Your session host will launch the session at this time to allow you to join the session and test that your microphone and camera are working.
- Presenters have also been asked to be online 30 minutes before the session commences, you will be able to chat with them prior to the session verbally and if need be during the session via the presenter text chat.
During the Session
- Your session host (a member of the conference organising team) will begin the session right on the scheduled time. There is a countdown clock built in to the portal to assist you with keeping to time.
- Please reiterate at the beginning of the session to ask questions via the Live Q&A text option to the right of delegates screens. (It is also a good idea to ask them to type the name of the presenter that they are asking the question of at the start of the question – so as to make it clear for you who to direct it to when the time comes. E.g. “Tara – can you please explain…”.
- Check your session schedule for presentations. We suggest introducing with the title, presenter and key parts of the bio. (If introducing presentation summaries we suggest just using the presenters name).
- At the conclusion of the session thank the presenters. If there are unanswered questions, inform the delegates that the presenters can answer them via text response, or if they wish to speak with them more they can connect via the meeting hub.