1Geoscience Australia, Canberra, Australi
In the era of overwhelming amounts of data and information being readily available over the web and other media sources it is vitally important to adopt machine-to-machine readable techniques that enable quick, reliable and repeatable resource discovery and then based on rules and definitions, facilitate determination as to whether the data and information are relevant and fit for purpose. Quality metadata can provide such a tool as:
- It allows the creation of multiple discipline specific metadata profiles based on international generic standards to improve data management and interoperability
- Through cross-walks to other community defined standards, it can be easily translated and used by multiple communities
- It enables the user to understand the data, its purpose, suitability and usability by capturing the history of acquisition and subsequent transformations, the description and evaluations of data quality, and the data dictionaries used
- It helps improve data discoverability on the web and also trace its usage and incorporation in derivative products
- It records and explains how to access and use data by related services, APIs and other tools
Australian and New Zealand Metadata Working Group (ANZ MDWG) has been working on development a consistent methods of implementing such tool across disciplines, communities and sectors to facilitate a conversation, support a wider understanding and consistent application. The current focus of the group is on development of improving interoperability and consistency of data management and description through developing discipline specific profiles and ontologies.
This presentation will examine how FAIR Metadata can assist data managers and users to resolve challengers of data findability, accessibility, interoperability and reusability.
Irina has been actively involved with international and national geoinformatics communities for many years. Irina focuses her work on maximising potential of multidisciplinary data assets by leveraging common information models, data patterns and vocabularies.
Irina is the Chair of the Australian and New Zealand Metadata Working Group